Smoking weed can be a whole lot of fun and quite therapeutic too. That said, many people don’t like how they get really hungry after smoking weed, the so-called munchies.
Yes, for many people this can indeed be an issue, because while having a bit of a buzz is fun, gaining a whole lot of weight is not.
Therefore, today we want to focus on what you can do to avoid the munchies, what to do to stop munchies when you are high, and look at the best strains that don’t cause munchies in the first place.
Best Strains that Don’t Cause Munchies
What we want to do right now is to take a quick look at a variety of marijuana strains that don’t cause munchies, as well as some that might even be seen as appetite suppressant strains.
- Power Plant is a fairly strong sativa strain that won’t cause the munchies, produces a moderately high, and will have you feel uplifted and euphoric.
- Durban Poison is another strong sativa strain that is known for not causing the munchies. It also tends to be quite uplifting and produces feelings of creativity, focus, and concentration.
- Jack the Ripper is yet another high THCV sativa strain that will have you feeling talkative, uplifted, and creative, all without giving you the munchies.
- Red Congolese is a sativa strain that comes from Africa, and it’s all about spurring on creativity and focus. It’s a good motivating strain that doesn’t make you feel hungry.
- Canatonic is a great strain to try, as it contains high levels of CBD, but not too much THC, coming in with a THC to CBD ratio of 2:1. It’s very relaxing for the body, yet uplifting for the mind.
- If you want a strain that is high in THCV, will get you feeling relaxed and happy, without suffering from couch lock or the munchies, then Dutch Treat is another great option to consider.
Does CBD Give You Munchies?
No, CBD usually does not cause the munchies. THC, the main cannabinoid found in weed, the same stuff that gets you high, is regarded as being the main cause of the munchies. This is what makes you hungry. On the other hand, CBD, another common cannabinoid, does not produce a psychoactive high and does not cause the munchies.
That said, CBD is known for reducing nausea, having calming effects, and for having benefits for your digestive tract too (reduces upset stomach). Therefore, although CBD does not cause the munchies in that sense, it may still make you feel a bit hungrier, or more willing to eat at the very least.
How to Stop Munchies When High
Ok, so no matter the strain that you smoke, sometimes you are just going to get hungry, or in other words, feel those munchies. If you are super high and feeling hungry, there are some things that you can do to get rid of the munchies, or at least to keep those hungry thoughts at bay.
There are also some things that you can do to stop yourself from getting the munchies in the first place. Let’s go over a few quick tips on how to stop the munchies when high and how to avoid the munchies in the first place.
· Always try to be regimented with your meals. If you have a good mealtime schedule, and you have a good dinner, the chances of you getting the munchies will be much lower because you’re already full. Humans are creature of routine, so if you can get used to a mealtime schedule, after a week or so, this shouldn’t be a problem anymore.
· If you are super high and bored, it’s natural for your mind to wander, if you’ve had a couple of puffs, your mind wandering to food is quite likely. Therefore, just try to keep yourself busy, whether with video games, a book, or some exercise.
· Some of us will always get the munchies, so the trick here might just be to empty your home of all temperatures. Sure, you might be high and hungry, but if you don’t have any snacks around, then there’s not much you can do about it. On that note, if you do feel the need to snack, try to keep a lot of healthy foods around. That way, if you do give in to the munchies, at least the snacks will be healthy.
· Using some toothpaste or minty mouthwash to change the flavor in your mouth is a good idea too. If you just rinsed your mouth with some minty goodness, you probably won’t be tempted to eat snacks. Eating after mouthwash or brushing is just disgusting.
· Of course, smoking or consuming the right strains of weed will help too.
How to Avoid Munchies – Indica and Sativa
Another thing to keep in mind when you want to avoid suffering from the munchies is the difference between Indica and sativa strains of weed. To keep things simple, Indica strains tend to contain more compounds that stimulate your hunger and make your brain think that you are hungry.
On the other hand, sativa strains usually have a higher concentration of THCV, a specific cannabinoid that is known for being an appetite suppressant. Therefore, to avoid the munchies as best you can, sticking with sativa strains of weed is recommended.
As you can see, although there are many strains of weed out there that will give you the munchies, there are also many that won’t, or at least not as severely as others. Of course, it does depend on you, as everybody is different, and different strains of weed may affect people in various ways.
That said, if you stick with the strains of weed we discussed above, and you follow the tips we have provided on avoiding the munchies, you should be able to get a buzz on without emptying your fridge every time you take a puff.