We’re celebrating 6 years of recreational marijuana in Massachusetts! Here’s a look back at cannabis legalization in the bay state:
Timeline of Marijuana Legalization in Massachusetts
- By a margin of 54% to 46%, Massachusetts voters approve the legalization of recreational marijuana.
- Not long after, a law was passed delaying the timeline for licensing the first recreational marijuana store, from Jan. 1, 2018, to July 1, 2018.
- The state begins accepting applications for retailer, manufacturer and transport licenses.
- Customers purchased the first legalized recreational cannabis in Northampton Massachusetts, becoming the seventh state to begin recreational marijuana sales, 2 years after it was legalized.
- After a 60-day COVID-19 shutdown, marijuana dispensaries are allowed to reopen.
- Boston’s first recreational marijuana dispensary opens, 3 years after recreational marijuana was legalized.
- The state begins accepting applications for marijuana home delivery services, a business type that regulators and advocates argue will be a vital part of an equitable cannabis industry.
Current Boston Marijuana Laws
- Marijuana in Massachusetts is legal for both medical and recreational use.
- Customers do not need to be Massachusetts residents but must have a government-issued ID.
- Purchases must be completed with cash or a debit card.
- In Massachusetts, customers must be 21 years or older.
- State law permits the purchase of up to one ounce of flower or five grams of concentrate at a time. Individuals can also purchase up to 100 milligrams of THC.
- Purchasing cannabis products from anywhere other than a licensed marijuana dispensary or marijuana delivery service is illegal.
- Marijuana cannot be consumed on federal land. You may only consume cannabis on private property.
- If you buy marijuana in Boston, it is illegal to take your cannabis across state lines.
Skip the dispensary, order delivery!
With marijuana dispensaries popping up all over Boston, deciding where to buy your weed can be overwhelming. Doobie lets you skip the hassle and delivers your favorite marijuana products to your front door. You can place an order on our website, over the phone, or by text message at 1-888-8DOOBIE (1-888-836-6243). All you need to do is add your favorite cannabis products to your cart and create an account with your delivery address. After placing your order, you’ll receive a text message from your doobie driver with updates and an estimated time of delivery!